Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Special Valentine's Evening!

I wrapped up my work at 7.50 and came out of office. 2 days after full moon, the silver ball, was shining bright and big. It just added glamour to the romance in the air. I hurried to the parking lot, humming an all time Ilayaraja favorite 'Thoongadhe vizhigal rendu'. I switched on the radio and Radio Mirchi was playing 'Oru maalai ila veyil neram'. Perfect romantic evening. Cut.

As I pulled out from the parking space, just realized my car was behaving crazy. She was not the same old buddy who'd dance to my tunes. I said 'reverse' and she did it sluggishly. I said 'Turn right' and literally dragged, she budged reluctantly. That was very unlike her! I put her to an halt and got out to examine... And Lo! Found a flat tyre'!. Cut.

The flat tyre did give me a mixed feeling. This is probably the 3rd or the 4th instance of punctured tyre in 3 years. But, never once at work. She'd never let me down. Usually, she'd contract a puncture at home and I will have my brother/dad/ Narayan Anna to help me out. For once, I get to change the tyre all by myself, and am happy about it! Yes, 'Happy'. I always thought, I should learn to handle it myself. One is never assured of a helping hand always in life.

I parked her back into my parking slot, opened the boot and pulled out the spare tyre. Just when I was trying to pull out the jockey, a guy came to me and asked "Ennanga tyre puncture a?" He was a driver waiting at the parking lot, and before I could reply, pulled out the jockey for me. I got it from him, and went down to place it under the car, He came there, got it from me and started working on changing the tyre. I felt so disappointed. I really wanted to do it myself.

It was very nice of him to come and help even before it was asked for, but what do I tell him? I was really contemplating. Even if I politely said, 'I'll learn to do it myself', Later, what if I couldn't unscrew the tyre, it will be a little embarrassing. I also wasn't sure if he'll really understand my intention! So, I just let him help me.

Now, there were loads of other questions running thru my head. 'Should I offer to pay him for the help?', 'Will that be embarrassing him?', 'If I have to pay, how much?', 'Is Rs.20 fine? or Rs. 50?', 'Do I have those bills in my wallet?' Ughh...

After he was done, I gave him the scrap cloth to wipe his hands. I also pulled my wallet out and he said 'Parava illai irukattum'. I felt really awkward. To my dismay, 'I just had a Rs.10 note and rest 100s!' 'How can I ask him to take 20-50 and give me change?' He said 'Parava illai' a couple more times, and I decided to leave it alone. Told him a 'Big Thanks'. Cut.

After about 20-30 mins of this work, when I pulled the car out again, I thought I heard something..Somebody singing 'Solaiyilum mutkal thondrum,naanum,neeyum neenginaal..' Stopped and looked around, again, I heard something that was totally unbelievable! I heard my Zen murmur to the Santro in the next slot, 'I tore myself to get this extra time with you on this nice valentine's night'.

‘Naan Unnai, neenga maaten…Neenginaal thoonga maaten…’

22 comments:

b a l a j i said...

that was very optimistic way of looking it!!!!!

krishis said...

hey this was nice ... really :-) style as well ... keep going ...

Vidya said...

Sooper po!!! I thought I was the only freak hearing machines and cars speak to each other... N e wayz.. Roomba fertile immagination polla nabaladhu ..he he...Good to know your Zen found her soulmate :D (BTW: y is your car a her???mine would definitely be a he)

Anonymous said...

Aaaha. Asathareenga yadhvi :-)

Yadhvi said...

balaji,
vera enna panradhu?! didn't wanna accept that it was just another evening :-)

Yadhvi said...

krishis,
Thanks! :-)

vidya,
yeah, I do that often!! people have caught me talking to my computer :-)
Zen found soulmate?! NO!!! idhu chumma...dialogue adikudhu... Shez got another soulmate.. another smart zen ;-)

Yadhvi said...

ferrari,
Thanks!

Mukund said...

and i was thinking that i was the only one talking to my computer :)

Naveenan Ramachandran said...

I suppose it is a nice way of recognizing the meaning these gadgets add to our lives. Computers / Vehicles are so much part of our personality ... Our career, way of life, country where we live (Krishis, wont you agree ?!?), mobility are all a strict 'function' of these factors.

I have named my Bullet as 'Nanda' !. In fact, I address it as my younger brother.

By the way, I broke even with Yadhvi on 15th evening .... I had a flat tyre !!!

Shastry said...

hey Yadhvi,
Really a very gud post. Even my two wheeler talk with me. It will cry and plead with me.. "dei ennai clean pannuda. kulippattu da...."
paavam athu. athu azhum.. I told about this post to my vandi. Athukkum kaadhal aasai vandhuchu pola. Ippo scooty or pleasure pakkthula niruthina thaan samatha nikkuthu. Else it is doing makkar.

Yadhvi said...

mukund,
No you are not alone in this world :-)

Yadhvi said...

Naveenan,
If Nanda is your younger brother, I can almost imagine!!! He must be haveing lotsa girl friends at the parking lot!

Yadhvi said...

shastry,
:-)) paathu niruthungo vandiya!!
apuram Thenali style le neenga solla vendi irukkum.. 'Ippadi naan Udhatai kuvikaiyile aaro dubbing seyrangal..Katkudho' appadi nu :-) the pleasure/scooty girl helmet veche unga mandaiyile poduva!!

Yadhvi said...

demonic dude,
Thanks! and welcome to my post!

kaushik said...

it is like a jeffry archer story....totally off beat ending....i had to read the last few lines twice to understand......
superb

Yadhvi said...

kaushik,
Thanks :-)
but if Jeffrey Archer hears this, he might go back to the prison :-)(after killing me)

Vincent said...

Hi yadhvi :)
My first time posting here.
I liked this one. Maybe your Zen tore itself to spend time with you! Unfortunately, the other driver took over. :)
Sometimes I find myself bonding with my bike a little more after a visit to the mechanic for minor repairs.
I also liked A Gentleman and Puffy logic.

Yadhvi said...

vincent,
Thanks!! Could my zen do that?! She usually forgets our friendship when she sees somebody attractive!

Yadhvi said...

sri
Thanks! and welcome to my post!

Anonymous said...

Good it was only one flat tyre...good you didn't have to wait longer...else the way they were asking for time....tee hee...
Kudos to the romantic in you, yadh!!!

Yadhvi said...

michelle,
Thanks! romantic in me? :-(( the irony is, All I had to do on Valentine's evening is change a flat tyre!!

Yadhvi said...

Thanks spree!!